ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: ICAS - Fees

From: Cudahy at aol.com

Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 22:02:09 UTC

Message:

The over-simplified answer is that recent experience suggests that aerobatic
competition experience does not translate particularly well to air show
flying.

In the early and mid 1990s, several aerobatic competition pilots were killed
flying at air shows. In each case, they were relatively inexperienced air
show pilots. In some cases, they were very experienced aerobatic competitors.
In other cases, they were not so experienced. Several other competition/air
show pilots were killed flying their air show sequence during practice
sessions.

No telling what the reasons are. Some have said that the crowds and the
atmosphere and the excitement at air shows often have more effect on the
pilot than that pilot had expected. Others have said that there's a big
change going from an environment where going below a certain altitude means
you've failed to an environment where the goal, at least for some, is to get
as close the ground as possible without actually hitting it.  No one can say
for sure. But it was clear to the people making the rules at the time that
roughly equating aerobatic competition experience with air show flying
experience was not producing the equivalent level of safety that everybody
had assumed it would. The business had been presented with too many fatal
examples of how this simply wasn't the case. So, allowances for aerobatic
competition experience were eliminated from the rules.

At a more personal level, I can tell you that we see a good many problems
each year and our single biggest problem is with aerobatic competitors who
believe that their competition experience translates directly to air shows.
They often take a "been there, done that" attitude with the evaluators. They
are frequently not as familiar with the air show specific rules as a less
talented or skilled aerobatic pilot who has not flown aerobatic competitions.
I don't know if it's a lack of familiarity with the rules or difficulty in
moving back and forth from one type of flying to another. But, like I said,
it's our single biggest source of problems during evaluations, counseling
during air shows, and questions here at ICAS.

Of course, none of this is true for the vast majority of aerobatic
competition pilots trying to break into the air show business. In fact, of
all the top air show performers in the U.S., virtually all of them got their
start in competitive aerobatics. But there were also too many fatal accidents
among aerobatic competitors trying to break into the air show business to
ignore the fact that aerobatic competition experience was not translating
into safe air show flying as well as all of us would have liked. New rules
were instituted and the problem has been largely eliminated.

Clearly, it would be much, much more convenient to make some allowances for
an aerobatic competitor's aerobatic experience. But, in the face of recent
experience, the relative advantages will not outweigh the harsh, practical
reality that such a policy puts people's lives at unnecessary risk.

I know that this message will generate a new blizzard of e-mail from people
who are very sure that ICAS is wrong on this issue. And for any particular
pilot, this may be true, but the rules under which we run the program must be
oriented toward a lower common denominator. And, though it may sound harsh,
those lower common denominators (and any of you who have been in the
aerobatics arena for any length of time know several examples) have
demonstrated that we cannot make the assumption that aerobatic competition
experience translates well and safely to air show experience.

John Cudahy
President
International Council of Air Shows, Inc.