ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Contest Scoring Program

From: RIHNAIRCO at aol.com

Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 12:58:00 UTC

Message:

Perhaps some history would leaven this conversation.

This program (TBLP) has been created and modified over the years at virtually
no cost to IAC.  Very early on we attempted to hire someone to program the
software to accomplish our goals.  That didn't work.  Our then President,
Mike Heuer spent countless hours attempting to do the same thing to assist in
making the costs within reach.  The recently deceased Sheldon Klotz also
spent many hours creating a program for IAC, again at no cost to IAC.

Dr. Tarasof,  a Russian aeronautical engineer, produced the first of the
number crunching systems at no cost to IAC.  Can you imagine the guts it took
for a russian space scientest to create a program that would thwart the
flagrant juding bias rampant in the USSR at world contests?  Remember the
cold war?

Dr. Bauer, a German mathematician, then improved the program, at no cost to
IAC.

Dr. Long, a US mathmetician, then added another round of modifications, at no
cost to IAC.

Rudy Penteado, a Brazilian computer programmer and aerobatic competitor, then
made the current version.  He has spent many long sessions improving the
program.  He does not receive payment for his efforts from IAC.  However, the
product does have value as intellectual property.  He therefore retains that
value by offering the program to some countrys for modest cost and to IAC at
no cost.

If someone were to reinvent the wheel by developing  something better AND
give it to IAC I can imagine that it would be received and used.  However, I
don't expect a long line of volunteers to scramble for that opportunity
considering the magnitude of the task and the lack of appreciation for the
efforts of those who have given so generously of their time and talents.

The forgoing is a summary of my recollections.  There may be errors in some
minor details.  Mike Heuer is probably the only person that has the complete
story.  In summary, IAC is a group of volunteers who provide saleable talents
to IAC at no charge.  However, they reserve the right to sell such saleable
items to others at market price.

Dick Rihn, Past Pres. IAC
Attachement 1: part2.html

© Dr. Günther Eichhorn