ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Contest Scoring Program

From: BenEllis at aol.com

Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 21:27:47 UTC

Message:

  Don et al,
You're quite right, we 'Brits' do have an independent scoring system that
uses the TBLP processes, calculates JPFs etc. It is actually the result of
over 5 years hard work by Nick Buckenham and runs in DOS. The whole thing,
plus scores, contest entry etc. fits on a 1.44M floppy and runs the complex
math apparently instantaneously on a cooking laptop. Pilot, aircraft and
judge registration for each level is fully integrated into the system. I can
absolutely attest that we wouldn't tolerate paperwork holding up a contest
for a second! Data entry is admittedly manual but I've been present at World
Championships where whole sessions have been lost trying to get the scanner
etc to work out in the field. At a recent contest of ours (a small affair,
only 40-odd pilots) the entire registration and scoring system was run by a
first-time volunteer, admittedly someone with some computer savvy,  with no
trouble at all, with a little coaching required from time to time. Order of
flight is determined randomly by the system, taking into account pilots
sharing the same aircraft registration.
We collect paperwork from the judges in batches after 4 or 5 flights. Data
entry is eased by using the first line of the letters on the keyboard for the
.5 scores (R=4.5 for instance) Averages, hard and soft zeros and low
penalties etc are all handled by the softare. We publish 'how goes it' raw
score results as the contest progresses and usually have the results from a
Programme out within 10 - 15 mins. Final results combining all Programmes,
TBLP'd and printed ready for awards is usually within 30 mins of the last
pilot landing. There's lots of lovely features built into it, too many to go
into here. Oh, I will just mention that it works just as well for Glider
contests, too!
Sure, we've talked about further automation out on the judging line but with
a simple paper system you can teach a new assistant the basics in seconds. I
go along with the 'it ain't broke' school here.
Cheers,
Ben Ellis
British Aerobatic Association