ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Contest Scoring Program

From: "Allyson Parker-Lauck" <princess70 at earthlink.net>

Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 16:51:59 UTC

Message:

  The BOD has discussed the JPF issue many times.  And it almost always seems
to come down to either not wanting to embarrass people, or the fear that
volunteers will shy away from wanting to become judges to avoid being
scrutinized.

I'm not saying that it's the right thing to do to not publish the JPF's, but
I guess we have to ask ourselves, is it better to have at least some judges
(some good, some marginal, some bad), or have no judges?

Perhaps it would be worth testing for one year to see if these fears that
judges will all drop out are rational fears, or are we just looking for
excuses?

I do know that it's already tough at some contests to find enough judges
just to fill the line, and I can definitely see why some would fear that
publishing the JPF's would make this situation worse.

On the other hand, I think we all know one or two of those "marginal" type
judges who keep making the same judging mistakes every time they are out on
the line.  Perhaps these judges don't care that they aren't very good, and
perhaps they even have their own judging agenda.  But it could also be
possible that they don't know that they are making the mistakes and would
like the chance to improve themselves.  Either way, publishing the JPF's
would definitely help these situations.

Whatever the case, I firmly believe that the best pilot usually wins.

Anxiously waiting for the completion of my new plane,
Allyson Parker-Lauck
IAC #15590

PS - The Panzl S-330 should be ready for me to fly by September 1.