ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Auto mailers to the list

From: Klein Gilhousen <kleing at qualcomm.com>

Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 15:30:21 UTC

Message:

  At 01:27 AM 5/23/2002 -0400, Dr. Guenther Eichhorn wrote:

>Hi anonymous,
>
>Out of office messages are an important part of the email system.
>They tell people that they may not get a response when they send
>you email.  Unfortunately it is impossible to turn off this
>response if the message comes from an email list.

I would say that "impossible" is a slight exaggeration.  Some e-mail
software, such as Eudora (plug, plug) integrate the auto-reply function
with the message filter function.  With Eudora it is easy to only
auto-reply to certain types of received messages.  In fact the example used
in the Eudora help file is precisely this situation.  I.e., you can set the
e-mailer to auto-reply ONLY to received messages that contain your e-mail
address in one of the recipient fields.  Messages addressed to the exploder
do not contain your e-mail address and would not generate an auto-reply.

You can also use Eudora's filter capability to automatically throw received
messages contain "autoreply" into the trash so you never see them.  You can
even limit this to messages containing "autoreply" in the subject line AND
contain the acro at gf24.de address elsewhere in the header.  You might want
to do this so you continue to see autoreply messages from your colleagues.

I don't know whether other e-mail software such as microsloth's ( ;-) )
offering provide such a facility or not.  I've never used them.  Probably
never will.

You can download a fully featured version of Eudora for free from
Qualcomm's website (www.qualcomm.com).  The free version does have a small
panel in the corner containing advertising.  An advert free version sells
for a nominal price.

Sorry for the commercial, but it does directly address a problem that some
people have with the exploder.

Klein Gilhousen, IAC 21489
Bozeman, MT
Senior VP, Technology