ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] RE: Does SIZE matter?

From: "Ron Saglimbene" <splitimage.lead at verizon.net>

Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 17:10:19 UTC

Message:

  Randy-

 Just to put this question to rest once and for all. I've researched all the
regs on the size of N numbers and the bottom line is that any aircraft
certified in the Normal or Standard category has to have large (12") N
numbers on it. Aircraft that are in the Experimental, Experimental
Exhibition or Restricted Categories can have small (2 or 3") N numbers on
them. [I used to own an S1T that was built by the factory in the
mid-eighties. It was certified by the factory in the Experimental Exhibition
category and had small N numbers. There are a few Pitts out there that were
built this way. Also, YOU can take your aircraft out of one category and put
it in another by getting a new airworthiness certificate for it (i.e. go
from Normal to Experimental Exhibition.)]
There are some exceptions to this: Normal Category aircraft built over 30
years ago, aircraft with small N numbers built before 1983 that haven't been
repainted yet, and some special use aircraft that have to file a flight plan
every time they fly. There is no provision in the FARs for the FAA to issue
a waiver for this regulation.
If you want to check out the reg, go to
	http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/cfrhtml_00/Title_14/14cfr45_00.html

									Ron Saglimbene

Subject: [Acro] Does SIZE matter?

Anyone know why certain airplanes (Certified and built in the Early 90's)
have small N numbers?  Is this legal?  Can you get a waiver for this?

I have seen FACTORY Pitts that have the 3" N numbers, Extra's etc....I know
if they are Experimental they are legal but what about Certified Airplanes?

Anyone?

Randy Ott