ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: AWAC -> No 2K2 US AWAC Team

From: Larry Lowe <webmaster at airspacemag.com>

Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 06:02:49 UTC

Message:

John Cornwell wrote:

> Anyone know anything about AWAC 2002 or the status of our advanced team?

The 2002 US Advanced team has decided to forgo participation in this
year's AWAC.

A number of issues were cited in the decision, including insurance,
aircraft availability and finances.  A subtext is the security of the
team itself as a potentially high profile US presence in an area where
some folks don't like the US very much, although that was not mentioned
formally.

Only two pilots on the team expressed interest in continuing to
participate, but the USAF charter is to fund a team and two pilots don't
make a team, so the USAF has not registered or entered any US pilots at
the AWAC 2K2 in Slovenia.

So we can all now look forward to the 2K3 WAC when it comes to Florida.

Larry Lowe