ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Landing Pitts

From: "Andrew Boyd" <aboyd at igs.net>

Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 01:39:27 UTC

Message:

  From: "John Wieckowski" <jcat46173 at adelphia.net>

> The amount of time you have in "regular" airplanes is of little help. Budd
> says that he cannot find much difference between the thousands hours
airline
> captain, and a 100 hours C-150 student.

Just to clarify this a bit ... yes, the number of hours that someone has in
nosewheel aircraft is probably mostly irrelevant.

I have done Pitts checkouts in the past on a couple of pilots
(old farts, actually :) who had very little trouble in adapting to the
power-off Pitts approach, and mastering the Pitts flare and rollout.

What did they have in common, apart from grey hair?  I think the
following were significant common factors:

1) they LEARNED to fly on tailwheel aircraft (in the late 1940's
and early 1950's) and

2) they had over 1000 hours of previous tailwheel experience
in prop aircraft, and

3) they had over 1000 hours in fighter jets (F-86, -100, -104)

re: #1 above ... someone who learned to fly on a nosewheel
aircraft has to unlearn some bad habits (keeping their feet
flat on the floor) before they can master any tailwheel
aircraft.  Learn it right the first time, and develop good
habits early on!  There's a reason I am teaching my son
to fly in a Maule :-)

re: #2 above ... sure, a Pitts is in a different league than
a Supercub or a Taylorcraft, but it's a much bigger jump
from a C172 to a Pitts, than it is from a Maule to a Pitts.

re: #3 above ... things do happen quickly on a power-off
Pitts approach, but compared to a say an F-104, hey, it's
not that far-out.

fwiw,

--
aboyd at igs.net   ATP