ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Landing Pitts

From: Allan <allan at alum.mit.edu>

Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 05:19:58 UTC

Message:

  Yeah, I was kinda surprised the first time my friend
yanked the power off in the Maule and we did a
"standard" power off "pattern" with full flaps.  I say
"pattern" because base and final usually resemble a semicircle
rather than square.  All three tailwheel instructors I've
had seemed to favor the power off, tight pattern approach.
One did because he'd had 2 engine failures, and the others
because they fly into tight, narrow, tree infested strips.
The first had owned more Pitts' than I have fingers.

The other thing I learned after flying with them was
the art of the slip.  During primary PP training, the
attitude was "if you mess up, you can do a slip to lose
some altitude".   My TW instructors took it more as
"always come in higher rather than lower and slip the
extra height", all the way to the ground.  I don't
think i've seen a red VASI light since then :)

All of your ex airline captain instructors still teach
the long final with partial power pattern, probably from lessons
learned about keeping turbofans spooled up.

Things happen fairly slow in the Maule, but the steep
descent makes for a really short flare.

Anyone in the Bay Area with a 2 hole Pitts willing
to take me for a ride?  I've finally got a little over 300 hours
of TW time (maule, citabria, 120) and have been looking to
try a pitts or monoplane.

allan

allan at alum.mit.edu

"Live and don't learn, that's our motto."
	--Calvin and Hobbes