ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Landing Pitts

From: "miki golan" <mg at mivzak.com>

Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 15:26:28 UTC

Message:

Well, I'm finally flying my S2B solo!!!!

My instructor, Izchaki, which had no previous Pitts experience, flew
with me for 6 hours before he felt I was "ok". He then flew with
me for additional 3 days (1.5 hr) not touching the controls or
talking at all, before he actually allowed me to Solo.

The runway is VERY narrow (55 feet wide) and pretty short (2500 feet),
with normal pattern at 800 feet. This width really leaves zero room
for errors! Like I've told the list before, Izchaki has
30 years of experience with over 30,000 hours in various
kinds of aircrafts, from P51D to crop dusters to helicopters, and
he test-flew my Pitts and landed without any problems. In fact, he
has only done 5 landings before he flew with me in the back seat,
allowing me to attempt to land. For several times, I was certain
we've lost the aircraft altogether, thanks to my "abilities", but
he took over and landed...

Anyhow, the interesting thing is, Izchaki really hates the "American"
way of landing with power-off and extreme slip, and he insisted that
I'll come in a pretty normal glide with engine, and slide the aircraft
as little as possible to see the numbers. I kept claiming that he
is just re-inventing the wheel and that the power-off method was
safer and much easier to master, but eventually I've learned to
control the aircraft "his way" and I feel fine landing it
with power on (up to the begining of the flair). Izchaki insist that
the power-off slip, with the decesend speed of a heli auto-rotation,
is risky and could result in a serious crash if the flare is begun
too late.

Are there other people who land a Pitts this way? Does the width
of the runway a factor in a decision which method to use? or?...

--Michael Golan
  TelAviv