ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Landing Pitts

From: RIHNAIRCO at aol.com

Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 15:45:11 UTC

Message:

To all,

I believe (and teach) that a pilot should be able to use a variety of
approaches to a landing and adapt the one most suited for the circumstances.

The three that I use are:

1. The continuous curving approach (a la Corsair fighter to a flat-top)
2.  The offset final approach with slip
3.  The straight in, with power and slip as needed.

I have listed them in increasing difficulty of teaching, at least for me.
(Perhaps this says more about me than my students).  The requirement is that
the entire landing and run-out zone be in view at all times to prevent runway
incursion catastrophes.

Dick Rihn