ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Landing Pitts

From: "David Magaw" <dmagaw at att.net>

Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 03:14:13 UTC

Message:

  Well FWIW, my instructor was from Italy, and he also does not prefer the
slipping method of landing an S2B except as to see the runway or correct for
wind.  He has me keep pattern altitude until final, then cut the power and
keep 100 to 105 MPH.  With this angle of descent, you can see the runway
very well right up until the flair--then hold it level in ground effect
until it just starts to sink and ease it back to the 3 point until it won't
stay in the air any longer, when its on the ground securely, then full stick
back.  Seems to work good and I have had a number of successful landings.
We have done slipping turns to land also, but the flair and landing are the
same technique.
Dave