ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] RE: landing a pitts

From: John Cornwell <jwcornwell at usa.net>

Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 18:49:16 UTC

Message:

The great Neil Williams cut it so close that he dug a little trench with the
Zlin's wingtip during his last second roll to upright before landing.

  "Peter Ashwood-Smith" <petera at nortelnetworks.com> wrote:
>	MIME Type: multipart/alternative

Actually there is a great story about an event that happened in the model
airplane community some many years ago. A guy was practicing for a contest
with a new plane when he lost a wing. He flew around the circuit knife edge
several times (model planes can even loop knife edge), and then landed it by
approaching knife edge on the grass and rolling to flat just as it touched.

Numerous people witnessed it and it has gone down in model aviation circles
as the equivalent of the wing fold, fly upside down, roll upright land
incident of full scale aerobatics.

Cheers,

Peter