ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Landing Pitts

From: Klein Gilhousen <kleing at qualcomm.com>

Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 21:56:03 UTC

Message:

  At 07:54 AM 02/05/29, Steve Pennypacker wrote:
>I don't really feel that bad for him.  If he'd been flying a Pitts, he
>never would have even realized there was a blizzard 'cuz ya caint see
>nuttin' no-how.  The Pitts doesn't have a heater, so he would have been
>dressed for the cold, sparing his digits from the deep-freeze.  And that
>bull woulda shown a whole lot more respect.....

Well, this explains a lot.  I've been wondering why Pitts pilots fly so
lousy in the box.  Here it is.....they can't see where they're going or
what they're doing.  Thanks for clearing this up for me Steve.  Actually,
with this realization, its a wonder to me the Pitts pilots fly as well as
they do, what with being basically IFR all the time.  I guess this also
explains the occasional inverted ILS that I've witnessed Pitts pilots doing
from time to time.

As for being dressed for the cold, clearly, Mr. Pennypacker has never been
to Montana in the winter.  I find it necessary to wear my snowmobile suit,
boots and gloves here even in the summer.  Flying in winter is a who
'nother thing entirely.  As for the buffalo showing a Pitts respect, it's
obvious to even a sex-crazed bull buffalo that a Pitts is just plain ugly.

Klein Gilhousen
Bozeman, MT