ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: AWAC 2002

From: "Allyson Parker-Lauck" <princess70 at earthlink.net>

Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 13:22:23 UTC

Message:

  Phil,

I first want to thank you for being willing to address this issue publicly.
I do understand your concerns about playing this out in front of the world,
but in August, if there is no US Advanced Team in Slovenia, it's going to be
played out in front of the world anyway.  The United States is among the
richest nations in the world, and I would venture to guess that we have the
more pilots flying at the Advanced level than most/all other countries.
People will definitely speculate about what is going on anyway, so why not
let them know the facts rather then come up with their own guesses?

I don't think any of us wanted to drag anyone's personal lives out into the
open, we just wanted to know what has happened.  Our teams are important to
us.  Some of us have tried out for Teams in the past and plan to again in
the future.  Many of us have made donations to our Teams.  This is not some
sick voyeuristic thing.  We (or at least I) care about our these people.

We are also not talking about scraping up $100K.  At this point we are only
talking about 2 pilots.  As far as I understand it, the only obligation that
USAF made to any of the Advanced Team members is to pay their entry fee and
room and board for the contest.  I sat in on the meeting that was held for
those trying out for the Advanced Team at the beginning of Nationals last
year, and if I remember correctly, we're just talking about $1500 per pilot.
Now that there are only 2 pilots, it is very difficult for me to believe
that USAF does not have the money in the bank to fund them with $3000.

When the C5 deal fell through last year, how did USAF find a way to make
that happen?

I'm also concerned about the inconsistencies.  I've seen many exceptions
made with regards to the Unlimited Power Team.  The rule that required that
70% must be achieved by each pilot trying out for the team was waived in
order that we could field a women's team.  The rule that each Unlimited
Power competitor must try out with a 10-figure freestyle was also waived bec
ause one of the pilots wasn't aware of this requirement.  When the time came
around to go to Europe last summer, the rule that a team could only be
funded with 3 or more pilots was again waived.

At this point, whatever the reasons are that the other Advanced Team members
decided not to go to the AWAC is unimportant.  The fact remains that we
still have 2 pilots who do want to go.  Why is it that all of these rules
are waived for the Unlimited Power Team, but not for Advanced pilots?  And
why can't we call the next pilot on the list and offer the opportunity to
him so that we CAN field an entire Team?  Why can't we find a way to make
this work instead of looking for every reason to make it not work?

Respectfully,
Allyson Parker-Lauck