ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] RE: A familiar name from the list?

From: planedancer at netscape.net

Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 05:56:14 UTC

Message:

  "Seppanen, Kari J" <kari.j.seppanen at boeing.com> wrote:

>These Business Fliers See Beyond the Bottom Line
>    New York Times   06/04/02
>    author: Eve Tahmincioglu
>    c. 2001 New York Times Company

>He became her volunteer pilot, taking her once every few months
>to Boston and back - all at his expense. Her condition has since
>improved, he says; she can walk, and her doctors have rebuilt her nose.
>
>At last count, more than 4,000 of them had joined a little-publicized
>nonprofit group called Angel Flight America,

Thanks so much for sending this to the list!  I've been involved with Angel Flight for over a year now, and this is so true - it is "little publicized", but they are working on changing that!

In my situation, besides arranging fund raisers and volunteering to man their booth at air shows, fly-ins, etc., there are many ways to help out (all tax deductible, too).

While for pilots, due to insurance, they require a minimum of 200 hrs, and prefer an instrument rating, it is possible to co-pilot to help build the time and gain the experience.  CFII's are also available so a trip can be logged toward the instrument rating.  The local areas most in need of pilots are the outlying areas, like west TX, rural MS and AR, etc., so if you can spread the word, put out brochures at FBO's, etc., that help would be most appreciated.

The national web site is www.angelflight.com - please help this "little publicized" organization get recognition!  Patients also need to know about this organization, so getting this info to hospital discharge planners, etc., is also helpful.

Thanks again, Kari, for passing this on!
--
Melanie
Rhome, TX (Ft. Worth)