ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Advanced World Aerobatic Team Status

From: Lisa Popp <lpopp at eaa.org>

Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 02:37:01 UTC

Message:

  An important message from IAC Headquarters.

Dear IAC Members:
Many have called and emailed requesting an explanation of what has
transpired with the US Advanced Team.  I personally thank you for your
patience in waiting for us to respond to your requests as we worked to solve
a very delicate situation.
Since the selection of eight members (6 members and 2 alternates) of the US
Advanced Team at our US Nationals in Denison last September, a number of
changes and complications have transpired. First amongst those is that, of
the eight Team members selected, six, for their own private reasons, elected
to retire from the team.  This left only two who were able and inclined to
attend, Bubba Vidrine and Julia Wood.   As our strategic partner in funding
and deploying our world teams, the United States Aerobatic Foundation (USAF)
is obliged to fund "teams" rather than individuals and disbanded the AWAC
team because only two team members remained after the resignations were
received (By CIVA regulations, a "team" consists of  three or more
competitors.)   This is completely within their authority pursuant to the
agreements between IAC and the Foundation.
However, the IAC Board questioned whether the remaining two pilots should be
allowed to attend AWAC as 1) the US had not failed to send contestants to
any world aerobatic competition for an unbroken 42 years, and 2) the two
remaining pilots were offering to attend AWAC at no cost to IAC or USAF.
Following a teleconference with the IAC Board to gain advice and draw a
consensus, IAC President Rob Dorsey made an executive decision to allow the
two remaining team members to attend under the flag of the United States and
with the support of IAC despite the fact that they were no longer a team
under the definition of the world organization, CIVA.  The compromise met
the consensus of the IAC board and provided representation to the World
Advanced competition which all felt met our obligations to the National
Aeronautics Association [NAA] to provide "individuals or teams to compete in
world events." All in all, a good and workable compromise.
This compromise seemed to satisfy all concerned at the time; however,
without further consultation or discussion with the IAC President, two IAC
directors, Mike Heuer and Bubba Vidrine, took it upon themselves to organize
an effort to bypass IAC's team selection process and authority and, with
Julia Wood and Don Peterson, an Advanced competitor who was not part of the
team, sent petitions directly to NAA asking them to form a new US AWAC team
with them as the members. These petitions were denied by NAA citing that "we
find .. no reason to intercede by sending the paperwork directly to the
contest organizer as you have requested" and "we believe it would be
inappropriate for NAA to intercede in the selection process by naming a
third person." Though denied, the action by these petitioners constitutes
the most serious and direct threat to IAC's team selection authority in
memory and, if successful, would have set a precedent which would have
troubled both NAA and IAC for many years to come. It might have meant that
in the future anyone wishing to be placed on a team could simply petition
NAA and, if successful, thereby circumvent IAC's entire team selection
process. We are thankful for the wisdom of NAA in denying these petitions.
Mere hours after NAA's decision to deny the petitions, US Advanced Team
member Bob Freeman contacted USAF President, Steve Cunningham, to ask that
he be allowed to resume his position on the team. As this would allow us to
reconstitute a bona fide US Advanced Team with members who were legitimately
selected by IAC's team selection process at the US Nationals, USAF and IAC
moved quickly to put the team back together.  The team members were notified
that USAF would fund the three member team as required by the letter of
agreement between the IAC and USAF. We should applaud Bob Freeman, who
worked with former Advanced Team Captain, Bob Stark, to find Bob an airplane
to fly in Slovenia. We will now be represented by a Team rather than two
individual pilots and that team is one which was selected through the IAC's
team selection process. All in all, a win all around for both the IAC
membership and the individuals involved.
Below is the announcement letter from the Foundation for your interest. If
you have a chance, please drop Bob Freeman (who has been named by USAF and
IAC as Team Representative) a line of congratulations for stepping forward
to reconstitute the US Advanced Team. This is great news and we all should
be glad that a team will represent the United States in Slovenia this
August.
(Copy of Stephen Cunningham e-mail message)