ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Fw: EXPERIMENTAL/EXHIBITION

From: Don Peterson <autotech at flash.net>

Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 18:37:00 UTC

Message:

Charles,

The master category is "Experiemental".  There are several
sub-categories such as "amateur built", "exhibition", "air racing",
"flight testing", and so on.  Each has subtle to major constraints
attached.

It is not entirely possible to give a brief and all-encompassing
answer.  The FAA has made numerous changes to the limitations imposed
upon "Exhibition" aircraft over time, so the impact on one airplane can
be quite different from another depending upon when it was
certificated.  There are also variations based upon the understanding of
the FAA Inspector or DAR that issued the certificate.

The current regs in place for the certification of Experimental
Exhibition aircraft- which are largely NOT retroactively effective to
previously certificated aircraft - are very similar to those affecting
Experimental Amateur built.  The chief difference is that the Exhibition
aircraft is not allowed to fly over densely populated areas unless so
directed by ATC.  Depending upon the interpretation of the issuing
inspector, there may or may not be a "proficiency area" limit of 300 -
400 nm within which you may fly without interacting with the FAA.
Outside of this area, you must be going to or from an "aviation event"
that is listed on your annual program letter filed with the FAA, or on a
subsequent notice that you send to them but to which they are not
obliged to reply.  Without them expressly prohibiting the flight outside
of your proficiency area (which they never do), you are approved.

So, in the real world there is very little difference in Exhibition and
Amateur built, particularly as it impacts typical aerobatic aircraft.

Don Peterson