ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Gnats

From: Michael Cook <michael.cook at themikes.com>

Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 14:04:46 UTC

Message:

I have witnessed a phenomena that defies my understanding.

I ride my bike around our city lake. It is pretty open with a raised dam on
the north side. Virtually every time I ride the wind is blowing from 12-20
mph across the lake from the south. On the road over the dam I encounter
swarms of gnats.

Here is the amazing thing. These gnats, who weigh 1/12 th of a newt, are
able to say in a swarm ball in winds of 20 mph. How can they do this? Logic
would tell you that the wind would carry them away. Yet they stay in this
swarm for a long time.

Surely there will be someone on this forum that can understand the
aerodynamics and propulsion of the Gnat.

Michael Cook
TheMikes.com
Edmond, OK
405-216-8420