ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] RE: Gnats

From: "Seppanen, Kari J" <kari.j.seppanen at boeing.com>

Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 01:04:56 UTC

Message:

  Are you sure the wind is "blowing" where the gnats are? Is the dam
deflecting the wind hitting it  and producing an area of detached flow? Next
time stop and throw some light weight dirt or something into the air the
gnats are flying in and see if it blows away.

Large scale aerodynamics can be fun and useful. On the Washington State
Ferries, there is a stagnation point just below the wheelhouse. If you stand
there, you feel no relative wind. Move a few feet to either side and you get
wind chill. A good trick to know on those cool NW days.

Kari J. Seppanen
Flight Test Engineering Analysis
Aerodynamic Performance Group
kari.j.seppanen at boeing.com