ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Question about 540 powered S-1S

From: John Cornwell <jwcornwell at usa.net>

Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 14:37:56 UTC

Message:

  Talk to Gerry Younger in Canada.  I don't know how to contact him, but there
are others on this list who do.  He used to have an S-1 with a six-banger out
front.  It certainly didn't exhibit any bad characteristics in his skilled
hands.  I saw him pull vertical on takeoff, three-quarter roll and head off to
the box inverted.  I am expressing no opinion on this practice other than it
sure was a thrill to watch.

PullSomeGs at aol.com wrote:
Does anyone out there know anything about the flight characteristics of S-1
Pitts that have been converted to 540 powerplants? I would think an S-1 with
an empty weight of over 1000lbs and 300+ hp would have some bad habits. Any
ideas?

Thanks,

Skip