ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Maule TW questions

From: "Michael Angiulo" <mikeang at microsoft.com>

Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:52:58 UTC

Message:

  I went and took a perfectly working Maule tailwheel off my Pitts to 'upgrade' it to a new Lang.  Well I should have known not to fix something that wasn't broken... the new Lang was defective right from the start - it had a malformed cam washer that wouldn't let the wheel caster to one side.

Ok so I went back to square one, returned the Lang and replaced the original Maule.  Now that I've done that I've got a couple questions.  First of all the steering arm on the tailwheel has a little play if you rock it side to side (not in the steering direction but as if you grabbed the steering holes and lifted them up and down).  I didn't see a way to tighten that and a quick comparison with another maule TW showed the same play.  I'm talking about around an eigth of an inch movement out at the end of the steering arm.  Is this looseness part of the design of the castering mechanism?

The chains and springs that I installed were brand new.  I put them on with enough tension to hold the springs level but not significantly compressed. After a dozen landings there is slack in the chains but not enough slack to take a link out of the chain without making the springs obviously tight.  I've been told that flying around with unnecessarily taught tailwheel linkages will cause an immediate swerve if one ever broke.  Any thoughts on how tight these chains should be?

Thanks,
-Mike

P.S.  The info I saw on the list for my previous questions has been very helpful.  I also was stumped about my radio picking up cockpit noise until I saw last week's posting about mic gain and sidetone - turning both of those down and adding a oregon aero mic muff seems to have really helped (now the tower understands me the first time before complaining that my transmissions are scratchy).  Any other thoughts here?