ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Maule TW questions

From: RIHNAIRCO at aol.com

Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 15:26:29 UTC

Message:

After using a Maule tailwheel down to the point that the rubber on the tread
surface was so thin the rubber broke away I decided to investigate.  The
thickness of the rubber on the weight bearing surface is less than it would
appear at first glance.  the amount of rubber showing on the side is not what
you have on the weight bearing surface.  I believe one using a Maule wheel
should decide for themselves how much tread thickness is safe and then create
a no-go gauge of plywood to check the safety of the next take-off/landing.

It worked thereafter for me.  I changed out wheels more often never again had
the catastophic failure on landing which added uncessary excitement to a
routine flight.

Dick Rihn