ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] RE: Maule TW questions

From: "Peter Ashwood-Smith" <petera at nortelnetworks.com>

Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:08:27 UTC

Message:

	Ok so I went back to square one, returned the Lang and replaced the
original Maule.  Now that I've done that I've got a couple questions.  First
of all the steering arm on the tailwheel has a little play if you rock it
side to side (not in the steering direction but as if you grabbed the
steering holes and lifted them up and down).  I didn't see a way to tighten
that and a quick comparison with another maule TW showed the same play.  I'm
talking about around an eigth of an inch movement out at the end of the
steering arm.  Is this looseness part of the design of the castering
mechanism?

I'm now onto my second tail wheel assembly and the first lasted 350 hrs
before I replaced it with a new one. The new one now has 100 hours on it and
has exactly that rocking you describe. It does not appear to make the Pitts
any harder to land ;) but then again that's not saying much is it.

	The chains and springs that I installed were brand new.  I put them
on with enough tension to hold the springs level but not significantly
compressed. After a dozen landings there is slack in the chains but not
enough slack to take a link out of the chain without making the springs
obviously tight.  I've been told that flying around with unnecessarily
taught tailwheel linkages will cause an immediate swerve if one ever broke.
Any thoughts on how tight these chains should be?

What happens I believe is that as your leaf springs compress a bit more or
less it affects the slack in the springs. Have a look at the tension with
you+gas etc. in the plane. One thing I recently did after reading the
Technical Tips volumes, was to run 3-4 loops of safety wire from the arm, in
and out of the clips to the end of the compression springs and back. The
idea being that if a clip breaks the safety wire will hold it.

I've actually had a rather catastrophic tail wheel failure where the entire
rear attach bracket broke allowing the leaf springs etc. to slip to the left
a good 30 degrees or so, getting caught by the rudder horn. Anyway you will
be please to know you can control a Pitts with the tail wheel totally
screwed up but you need a 149' wide runway ... I had a 150' wide runway.

Oh yeah, pushing forward on the stick during the rollout helped
significantly and the usual hauling back into your lap only made it worse
... for obvious reasons.

Cheers,

Peter

	Thanks,
	-Mike

	P.S.  The info I saw on the list for my previous questions has been
very helpful.  I also was stumped about my radio picking up cockpit noise
until I saw last week's posting about mic gain and sidetone - turning both
of those down and adding a oregon aero mic muff seems to have really helped
(now the tower understands me the first time before complaining that my
transmissions are scratchy).  Any other thoughts here?