Acro Image

Aerobatics Server

ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] RE: Maule TW questions

[International Aerobatic Club] [Communications] [Aerobatics Images]

Disclaimer: These aerobatics pages are developed by individual IAC members and do not represent official IAC policy or opinion.

[Usage Statistics]

ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] RE: Maule TW questions

Thread: [Acro] RE: Maule TW questions

Follow-Up To: ACRO Email list (for List Members only)

Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 21:03:15 UTC

RE: [Acro] Maule TW questionsCan all the worthless Maules/Langs and get an Air Products, (needs a 337)...end of story.  Best thing I ever did for the 'B'.

-RS-
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  To: 'Michael Angiulo' ; acro at gf24.de 
  Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2002 3:04 PM
  Subject: [Acro] RE: Maule TW questions

Ok so I went back to square one, returned the Lang and replaced the original Maule.  Now that I've done that I've got a couple questions.  First of all the steering arm on the tailwheel has a little play if you rock it side to side (not in the steering direction but as if you grabbed the steering holes and lifted them up and down).  I didn't see a way to tighten that and a quick comparison with another maule TW showed the same play.  I'm talking about around an eigth of an inch movement out at the end of the steering arm.  Is this looseness part of the design of the castering mechanism?

I'm now onto my second tail wheel assembly and the first lasted 350 hrs before I replaced it with a new one. The new one now has 100 hours on it and has exactly that rocking you describe. It does not appear to make the Pitts any harder to land ;) but then again that's not saying much is it.

The chains and springs that I installed were brand new.  I put them on with enough tension to hold the springs level but not significantly compressed. After a dozen landings there is slack in the chains but not enough slack to take a link out of the chain without making the springs obviously tight.  I've been told that flying around with unnecessarily taught tailwheel linkages will cause an immediate swerve if one ever broke.  Any thoughts on how tight these chains should be?

What happens I believe is that as your leaf springs compress a bit more or less it affects the slack in the springs. Have a look at the tension with you+gas etc. in the plane. One thing I recently did after reading the Technical Tips volumes, was to run 3-4 loops of safety wire from the arm, in and out of the clips to the end of the compression springs and back. The idea being that if a clip breaks the safety wire will hold it. 

I've actually had a rather catastrophic tail wheel failure where the entire rear attach bracket broke allowing the leaf springs etc. to slip to the left a good 30 degrees or so, getting caught by the rudder horn. Anyway you will be please to know you can control a Pitts with the tail wheel totally screwed up but you need a 149' wide runway ... I had a 150' wide runway.

Oh yeah, pushing forward on the stick during the rollout helped significantly and the usual hauling back into your lap only made it worse ... for obvious reasons.

Cheers, 

Peter 

Thanks, 
    -Mike 

P.S.  The info I saw on the list for my previous questions has been very helpful.  I also was stumped about my radio picking up cockpit noise until I saw last week's posting about mic gain and sidetone - turning both of those down and adding a oregon aero mic muff seems to have really helped (now the tower understands me the first time before complaining that my transmissions are scratchy).  Any other thoughts here?

Attachement 1: part2.html

© Dr. Günther Eichhorn
Retired
Email Guenther Eichhorn