ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Push up hammers

From: Klein Gilhousen <kleing at qualcomm.com>

Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 02:52:10 UTC

Message:

  Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.  I really appreciate
it.  Unfortunately, I'm now gone on a business trip and won't get to try
any of this good stuff until Saturday.

BTW, I've always made it a habit to steal a glance at the airspeed, the
altimeter or the g-meter, as appropriate during training and contest
flights.  I don't stare that them but I do note where I'm at.  Generally,
I'll only look at the altimeter before dropping into a down figure like a
spin or a split-s.  I just want to make sure there's enough air under
me.  Likewise, I make sure the airspeed isn't too fast before a snap,
etc.  In the case of a hammerhead, I sometimes take a peak at airspeed to
stay calibrated or if I'm trying something new.

It's very possible that my attitude is a bit askew before the pivot.  I did
try a few experiments where I did a positive pull up past the vertical and
then pushed back to vertical before the pivot to see it if was directly the
push that was the problem.  Interestingly, I didn't notice any pivot
problems when doing it this way.  So attitude is the likely culprit.

Thanks,
Klein