ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Pitts slave strut spoilers.

From: "Dan Salcedo" <salcedod at nova.edu>

Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 01:17:52 UTC

Message:

  Doug,  I have an A with 337'ed streamlined struts . The right side has never
vibrated in any maneuvers. That includes with the string on the
inboard,outboard, or no string installed.  The left side has vibrated with
the string on the inboard side, but not on the outboard side.  If you put
the string on both sides mine will vibrate at 90 mph. Needless to say I
won't try that again.  Also I place the string at the 30% chord position
from the leading edge.  If have tried it at about 60% chord from the leading
edge and it vibrated on the left aileron.   My aircraft is flown in the
advanced category, so I relate my experience to these maneuvers.
On other Pitts that  I have maintained there seems to be more wear or play
always in the left side (upper slave strut bearings), therefore my
observation that their is more vibration there?
Hope this helps, at least it works on my individual aircraft.
Dan Salcedo
A&P IA