ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: So, I was thinking....

From: "Alex Belov" <belov at iac52.com>

Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 14:28:33 UTC

Message:

Marilyn,

  From personal experience in aerobatic competition and other sports, I have always discovered that weight training helps obviously.  And yes, I does help with G-loading.  I'm no doctor but being an athlete I have discovered that a semi-regular weight training has a positive effect on your body's ability to withstand the loads.  From what I understand, it strengthens and builds up your heart to provide more "pumping action" when needed.
  But also, examine the format of the sport - short, explosive durations of weight loading, short explosive movements of the body and its elements, lasting overall no more than 20 minutes.  It ain't a marathon so you better train accordingly then.
 Short durations of the loads during training simulate short duritions of the G-loading during flight, once again preparing the body for the "abuse".  :-)  The important area that is often missed is trapezoidal and neck mussles.  Weight training builds up and strengthens those areas which are directly linked, obviously, to your head, minimizing all kids of neck and shoulder pains and therefore minimizing the headaches, discomfort and spacial disorientation from what I personally have discovered.  Helps especially if you were a brain bucket on your head.

  Nutrionally-wise, from my personal studies I have discoved that a high-carb diet before flight is more benefial.  Your brain required a high level of sugar in the blood, carbs supply that.  But here, your unique body comes in and the best way is to experiment and see what your body likes the most.  Much like weight-loosing diets, no two are the same and you have to discover what works best for you and when.

Alex...
IAC Chapter 52