Acro Image

Aerobatics Server

[International Aerobatic Club] [Communications] [Aerobatics Images]

Disclaimer: These aerobatics pages are developed by individual IAC members and do not represent official IAC policy or opinion.

[Usage Statistics]

There are some good ideas here. Who is next?

bd

Pete & Farrell Rouse wrote:

To All, I am an aerobatic pilot who is no threat to any of the competitors in any category; however, I feel that I might have some suggestions that would be of benefit.  I am going out on a limb because of the recent spate of in-fighting within the ranks of the IAC.  I do not know all of the issues with Mr. Dorsey's tenure as the IAC president, nor do I feel that it is relevant now due to his departure.  Any parting shots taken at this point are really non-productive.  I say let us give Gerry Molidor our support and move the IAC in a positive direction that is a benefit to all aerobatic pilots. Here are a few suggestions that might help with some of the issues as I see them. 1.  The small percentage of competitors versus the overall membership. I suggest that the IAC sponsor weekend clinics for aerobatics much in the way the EAA sponsors the Sportair workshops.  I feel that a relaxed and fun atmosphere of a weekend clinic would probably entice some more of the membership into competition.  I see this as an educational as well as flight proficiency clinic.  The people involved in the course could bring their own airplanes, or rent a flight school provided airplane.  The clinic would cover the maneuvers, scoring/judging, flying tips, aircraft performance, etc.  Basically a fun introduction to competitive aerobatics. 2.  Competition aerobatics is relatively unknown to the 'outside world'. I suggest that whenever there is an aerobatic competition, the organizers try an involve the local media to get the word out to the general public.  The media involvement would need to be carefully crafted in order to put aerobatics in a positive light, not a bunch of elite, show-offs with too much money and time on their hands.  I am not saying that the latter is the case, just that the general public is uninformed about our sport, and we want to portray it as a safe and exciting sport which has benefits to regular flying; i.e., upset training and flight proficiency. 3.  Dissemination of information. One of the biggest issues this year seemed to be the USAF decision concerning the fielding of an Advanced team at the WAC.  I am friends with one of the original team members, but I still am not sure what the issues were concerning the Advanced team (this may be a case of utter confusion on my part).  Anyway, I suggest that there be a better flow of information to the IAC membership.  Email would be a good start.  I have contributed to the USAF for the Unlimited and the Advanced team.  If funding were an issue, I would have gladly donated an extra $20.00 to the Advanced team.  My $20.00 would not have meant much; however, if all of the other IAC membership were to match it, then it would have been something.  I may not have all of my facts straight, but I hopefully have pointed out that the communications within the organization could use a little more improvement. 4.  Fragmentation of the IAC. I have seen the website which is proposing a new aerobatic organization.  Wasn't this the case when IAC superceded the ACA (before my time)?  Anyway, I don't feel that creating a new organization will really address any of the core issues.  I feel it is changing horses in mid stream.  I realize that there are many different viewpoints within the IAC.  If there is a particular direction the IAC should go, then the membership should vote for it and then the majority would provide the direction.  If there are people who are not in the majority, then keep up the dialogue and see if there is an equitable solution to be had.  Constant in-fighting is non-productive, and it just alienates people.  I feel that we can have internal disagreements, but when it comes to interfacing with outside organizations, we need to have a unified position.  Let us not air our dirty laundry to the public. I know that my viewpoints are probably not worth the electricity used to send them across the net, but I am willing to help. Thanks for not hitting the delete key immediately. Pete RousePitts S-1S

© Dr. Günther Eichhorn
Retired
Email Guenther Eichhorn