ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Helpful Suggestions

From: DSowder at aol.com

Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 05:02:35 UTC

Message:

In a message dated 7/14/2002 8:17:53 AM Pacific Standard Time,
RIHNAIRCO at aol.com writes:

> Lest someone mistakenly think that I am against contest flying or flying a
> One Design in an IAC contest be advised that  I have flown in 69 contests
> and most recently competed in my One Design  last month.  I plan one more
> contest this year.

Dick,
I hope that your "one more contest this year" is Pendleton, OR on Aug. 22-25.
If not, maybe you could change your plans to "two more"?? Would be a great
tune-up for Delano, but maybe not quite so warm. Not only that, but I have it
on good authority that the only known (to me, anyway) 1-D in the Northwest
will be at PDT, probably flying Sportsman.

Re. the 1-D contest business, yes there must be a critical mass of aircraft,
but even then, it's always seemed to me that there is such a variation
possible within the rules that the airplanes really aren't anywhere near
equal. A stock engine, fixed pitch airplane just isn't going to be as capable
as one with a big-money engine and constant speed, and the difference in cost
between the two would buy a nice S1-S. This notwithstanding the standardized
paint scheme! Just my two cents worth. 1-D is a worthy concept that just
might not be doable.

Doug Sowder