ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Self-Moderated List

From: "Lee McGee" <lee.mcgee at usa.net>

Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 18:27:50 UTC

Message:

  By blocking email addresses you would therefore be eliminating the probable
90 per cent plus of the good and interesting posts coming from those
now-blocked individuals.    Blocking email addresses is akin to an ostrich
sticking its head in the sand - it solves nothing.   I don't recommend it,
except  in cases of the most flagrant and persistent violators, of which
this list has maybe one or two max?

List moderation is a completely different paradigm, and logically list
moderation seems to address the problem we have.  But unfortunately it has a
really severe downside, that being the extra overhead of having to employ a
moderator, and then waiting on that moderator to approve posts before any
post gets through.    List moderation is anethema to the health of any good
electronic community, and is something that this community does not need.
Do not let one or two bad apples spoil the freedom of the community.
Freedom is everything.

What we do need to be is mature - to think before writing to the list.  And
to think about the sensibilities of the audience.   I for one was deeply
offended by Mr. Duckwater's recent post.

  -Lee McGee      ( and a member of rec.aviation.* communities since 1991! )