ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Pitts gear leg fairings, cracking p ...

From: John Cornwell <jwcornwell at usa.net>

Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 05:03:23 UTC

Message:

I had all the same problems on my T.  A piece of foam on the inside of the
fairings to dampen vibration solved everything.

"Peter Ashwood-Smith" <petera at nortelnetworks.com> wrote:
>	MIME Type: multipart/alternative

My S-1T has only 570hrs on it but the gear leg fairings are a source of
annoyance. I get little cracks that run up from the inside  around the
cutouts for the brake calipers which require constant stop drilling. The
rivets that hold the front and rear faces together constantly loosen up and
need to be replaced. Now, the fold in the rear has started to crack and that
is pretty much impossible to fix. I guess I'll have to put new ones on this
winter at annual but I'm wondering if there is something that can be done to
make this less of a problem?

Am thinking that when I replace them I'll pour a small bead of epoxy into
the rear fold to help relieve the stress a bit, and will put a piece of
anti-chafing tape between the two halves where they rivet together.

Any thoughts?