ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Alternate modes of spin recovery

From: mike.torbett at honeywell.com

Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 15:19:13 UTC

Message:

At the 2001 Gulf Coast Regional contest there was a contestant who had his
rudder cable break as he was applying rudder to recover from as spin. As
most of you know the story had a happy ending as came out of the spin, flew
away and bailed out successfully. I said to myself at the time that after I
got my plane flying again I would go up and experiment with spin recovery
without using any rudder. Well, I finally got around to it this weekend and
was a bit surprised. I need to experiment a bit more for different spin
modes but here is what I found.

	My 1974 Pitts S-2A would consistently recover from fully developed
upright (positive) left spins by keeping the stick fully back and applying
full left aileron. I did about 7 or 8 spins and waited for between 1 to 4
turns before attempting recovery. Upon application of pro spin aileron, I
could feel the aircraft transition from a spin to a spiral whereupon I could
then stop the spiral through opposite aileron and recover. It was very
repeatable and consistent.

	I was curious if others had information to share on non-rudder
assisted spin recovery techniques.

Regards,
Mike

                                   Honeywell