ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Alternate modes of spin recovery

From: DSowder at aol.com

Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 19:48:34 UTC

Message:

In a message dated 7/22/02 8:15:58 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
mike.torbett at honeywell.com writes:

> I said to myself at the time that after I
> got my plane flying again I would go up and experiment with spin recovery
> without using any rudder.

Mike,
I am curios to know how you dealt with the rudder pedal return springs when
simulating a broken rudder cable. It's true that these springs are weak, but
they do provide a small amount of centering tendency. And, if a cable is
broken, only the spring on the good side will be active, providing a small
amount of pro-spin rudder. In other words, simply taking your feet off the
pedals doesn't simulate a broken rudder cable, even if you're already
spinning.

Another possible factor would be the position of the tailwheel and the
friction in it's pivot, which could affect the force that the tailwheel
springs apply to the rudder. Just some thoughts along the lines of "don't try
this at home...."

Doug Sowder