ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: noise complaints

From: John Cornwell <jwcornwell at usa.net>

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 16:49:08 UTC

Message:

Kathy --

What RPM is your prop set to?  2500 is MUCH quieter than 2700, with the only
penalty being an inconsequentially shorter upline. Also, if you REALLY like to
tumble, consider a non-metal prop if you don't have one already.  The
difference in mass could be the difference between happy tumbling and a
premature prop departure.

"Brent Rogers" <1brogers at rogers.com> wrote:
>	MIME Type: multipart/alternative
Hi Kathy,

Living in a big urban area like Toronto I have lots of experience with this
sort of thing.
Not so much on the aerobatics side since we fly for 15 or 20 minutes to a
rural area way outside of Toronto to practice (mixed blessing of living in a
city blanketed with Class B airspace) but more on the general traffic in and
out of the GA airports on the ever expanding fringes of the city.

I religiously adhere to and practice any noise abatement procedures that there
are, sometimes adding my own to the published ones. I am also very sensitive
to being a "good neighbour". For instances if I am practising simulated forced
approaches over farm country, I never do more than one before moving several
miles to a different location.

For aerobatics, higher is generally better in terms of noise as perceived on
the ground. Practice areas/boxes often dictate staying in one area so maybe
adjusting times if you can (i.e. weekdays rather than weekends) can help.

At the end of the day, people in general don't have much tolerance for
anything that irritates them unless they are involved in it.
Polite and earnest empathy and projecting a sensitivity about people's
concerns sometimes will go a long way. Not much may have changed but their
perception that you are trying to be considerate. This mixed with some efforts
to educate people helps. In many cases here, it ISN'T really the noise that is
an issue. The fear is that an airplane approaching the airport will "fall out
of the sky" and the noise is just a talking point for that fear. They feel
they can't protest the flight path but the noise thing works so they use that.

AOPA has plenty of experience assisting people with these sorts of issues and
may be able to advise you further.

Trust you are still having fun with your Zlin?

Best

Brent
Brent Rogers                  | CPL, ASELS, IA
Toronto, Ontario              | COPA # 134213
Canada                          | AOPA # 772585 7
1brogers at rogers.com     | IAC # 24428, Chapter 88