ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: noise complaints

From: "Marilyn Dash" <m.dash at rcn.com>

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 18:00:02 UTC

Message:

This is an actual article from an SF newspaper! I always thought the actual headline should have been - "Noise Freak Makes 22,000 phone calls in one year should get a hobby".
The system they discuss isn't relevant to this conversation - but, it is pretty cool. If you go to the website, check out the little kid making a face with his fingers in his ears. Nice.

Wednesday May 16 08:52 PM EDT

New Web Site Tracks Airport Noise

There are nearly half a million take-offs and landings every year at San
Francisco International airport, and all of them are noisy. Some of them are too noisy.
Now, the airport has launched a web site that helps people identify pilots
buzzing their homes.

The site uses the same data that goes to air traffic controllers to show
the altitude and flight path of just about every plane in the Bay Area
skies. "Also, it gives us some ammunition to go to the airline and say,
'it looks like your aircraft approaching San Francisco was off-course and
was not at the correct altitude.'" says airport spokesman Ron Wilson.

San Francisco Airport got 52,000 noise complaints last year. But just one
woman who lives in Foster city phoned in nearly 22,000 of those complaints
herself. Sixty times a day, every day of the year, she was on the phone
complaining of airplane noise. "I don't know what she does for a living,"
says Wilson. "But it's a cinch she's on the phone a lot."

Not all the noise complaints are caused by the big jets. "Sometimes those
small airplanes, they do the buzzing," says Foster City resident John
Tsou. "The dive and then they pull up and then that's really a lot of
noise."

The aircraft tracking system shows those private planes and helicopters,
too. For years, the airport has used a network of about three dozen
microphones located throughout the Bay Area to listen for aircraft noise.
But the microphones pick up all noise, including construction equipment.

The mics are live, bug data on the web site is delayed ten minutes for
security reasons. With FAA approval, the airport plans to add airline
names and flight numbers in a few months.

http://www.flyquietsfo.com/

 =====

Marilyn Dash

Quote of the Day!