ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Noise complaints

From: William McIntyre <acromac at worldnet.att.net>

Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 00:32:15 UTC

Message:

  Greetings to my fellow enthusiasts
10 years ago here at Falcon Field on the east side of the Phoenix
metro area,we had 4-5 Pitts flying acro.
We practiced over some open desert owned by the state.There were no
structures on the land but some houses had been built about 2 miles
away.Some noise complaints were lodged with the FAA.At one point the
feds came out and (unknown to us)watched to see what we were up to.
The feds (to their credit) told the complainers that we were not doing
anything illegal.
The next tactic the complainers took was to come over to the airport
and pretend interest in our airplanes.They would approch us at our
hangers and the conversation went something like this:
Q.what a cute little airplane,what is it?
A.its a Pitts special.
Q.do you use it to fly stunts?
A.yes but we call our type of flying aerobatics.
Q.What are these little letters on the rear of the airplane?
A.They are the federal registration numbers that all aircraft have.
The next step was for them to call the FSDO and say "there is an
airplane flying stunts right over my house.Its a red Pitts Special and
the registration number is 11WT.
The feds saw right thru this ruse and didnt do any follow-up.
Just one acro guys experience.
Bill McIntyre
Phoenix Aerobatic Club
--