Acro Image

Aerobatics Server

ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: S1-S

[International Aerobatic Club] [Communications] [Aerobatics Images]

Disclaimer: These aerobatics pages are developed by individual IAC members and do not represent official IAC policy or opinion.

[Usage Statistics]

ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: S1-S

Thread: [Acro] Re: S1-S

Follow-Up To: ACRO Email list (for List Members only)

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 21:13:08 UTC

RE: [Acro] Re: S1-SThe Manifold Press generally goes bad after you have overprimed the engine for a while. Fuel gets into the MAP line and eventually works it's self aft to the gauge. Look at where the MAP pick up line is on the T. 
 Mine comes and goes. Some time I have MAP, Some times I don't. I have cleaned the screw in the back of the inst. and it works fine for a while, then it gets intermittent. My solution.....Don't prime but 2 strokes( one up and one down) when cold and NEVER prime when hot.
  What I do when waiting for it to fix it's self again? (Remember I said it was intermittent)

I found that my engine had about 13.5 GPH of FF when at level flight in cruise at 24 squared. When I leaned it to 50*
richer than best power on the EGT it burns 10.5 GPH
 SOOOO Once I level out I set 2400 rpm then pull the MAP back till the FF is 13.5 and lean to 50* rich and it usually is close to 10.5 GPH. This works for me but I never cruise much higher than 4000 + or -.
 one of these days I gotta change that MAP gauge.
Best Tom Adams
IAC 1999 

----- Original Message ----- 
  To: 'Neal Frangesh' ; INTERNET:acro at gf24.de 
  Sent: Friday, July 26, 2002 1:19 PM
  Subject: [Acro] Re: S1-S

I'm confused. The S-1T has a combined fuel pressure and manifold pressure guage, not a combined fuel pressure/oil pressure gauge unless they came with different instrument packages?

If the manifold pressure gauge is starting to fail, its almost certainly because the snubber is gummed up. Its an easy thing to fix. Just unscrew the manifold pressure line from the back and with a philips head screw driver, undo the snubber screw about 1 turn, then turn it back in exactly to where it was before you unscrewed it. This will probably ungum it. 

The snubber screw is actually right inside the port where the manifold pressure line fitting attaches to the back of the gauge. Its purpose is to damp the oscillations from the engine so you get a smooth reading. Its very easy to set this thing without even running the engine. Just put a small piece of tubing over the elbow fitting that comes out the back of the gauge, then you can suck/blow gently on the tube and watch the guage.

You set the snubber so that you get just a bit of delay in the needle movement to your pressure changes on the line. 

Cheers, 

Peter 

-----Original Message----- 
    Sent:   Friday, July 26, 2002 1:23 PM 
    To:     INTERNET:acro at gf24.de 
    Subject:        [Acro] Re:  S1-S 

Paul: 

Call Mike DuPont at American Aero Services.  (508) 824-5681.  He had the 
    one on my S-1T repaired. 

Regards, 

Neal Frangesh 
    S-1T,  N11N