ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Question of the day

From: "Alex Belov" <belov at iac52.com>

Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 12:35:32 UTC

Message:

  First of all, the correct word is "hangar", we're not hanging anyone over
here.

The word Hangar comes to us via French in late 17th century from 16th
centrury French "angar" defined as "an open shed, or novell, whrein
husbandmen set their ploughes, etc, out of the sun and weather".  "Angar"
actually came from Latin "angarium", or to shed or stable.

The word Garage also came from the French "garer", a verb meaning to dock
ships, and most likely the reason it never made it into aviation.

What do I win?  :-)
Alex...