ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Question of the day

From: "Jim Stasny" <staz at bellsouth.net>

Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 15:21:22 UTC

Message:

  Hilton;

From the list's archives;

                            Jim Stasny   IAC 1309  Pitts S1 (Orange & White)
                                N7315

True or Not? Archives!

 Surprisingly often misspelled "hanger" by both the general population and
by those in aviation. The term has nothing to do with "hanging" anything
inside, not even in a blimp hangar. During World War I, pilots often
sheltered their airplanes in farmers barns or sheds in the French
countryside. "Hangar" is the French word for a "shed" (especially one for
shoeing horses) and may come from the Medieval Latin word "angarium." By the
way, the French word for an airplane hangar is "hangar" so they still do not
distinguish between the 3-390 building [hangar at Boeing Field] and an old
horse shed. I would have expected something more elegant perhaps "chateau
d'avion."

> In Toulouse, the Airbus test airplanes are parked nose-in on three sides
of the main flight test building. This three story building with offices,
conference rooms, parts storage, etc. is called the "Abreuvoir." It was not
named for any famous French aviation pioneer but is literally a "feeding
trough" for cattle. Isn't French supposed to be romantic?