ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Needs Pitts Lesson Tips!

From: John Cornwell <jwcornwell at usa.net>

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 16:25:04 UTC

Message:

  You are at the right place for information, as long as you can identify and
disregard the resident trolls.

Citabria vs. Pitts?  You'll find the Pitts is a different species of the same
animal.  Things just happen a little faster.  You'll have a free hand to work
the throttle, pick stuff off the canopy inverted, etc. instead of having both
of them on the stick.

It can be loads of fun flying without structure, but I would be hesitant to
call it training.  A good instructor will follow a logical sequence, for
example, you would learn to do a loop and a roll before combing them in an
Immelmann.

If you will be paying a lot for your training (be suspicious if you are not),
you should expect structure, meaning a pre-flight briefing to discuss what you
will be doing, how you will do it and why before you fly, and a post-flight
briefing reviewing what you did, analyzing errors, answering your questions,
etc.  If you are serious about your training, find an instructor who is as
serious as you are.

  waerobatik at att.net wrote:
Aerobats,

I've taken the plunge. I made an appointment to get
lessons in an S2!  I'm excited, but concerned.

I could sure use some pointers, and some varying
opinions on how to accomplish my training with my
instructor. I'm not sure how structured his lessons will
be. While doing aerobatic training in my SLOWTABRIA, we
had very little structure, but hads loads of fun.  And I
learned a lot. I think the Pitts is going to be a whole
new animal.  And it's sure going to cost a lot more than
flying my Citabria.

Any input, tips, recommendations, precautions,
information sources, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Matt