ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Needs Pitts Lesson Tips!

From: "Bear" <dmcff at email.msn.com>

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 17:34:19 UTC

Message:

Hi All- I'm going to throw my 2 cents in- most have been good tips already.
In teaching Pitts for 20 years now, the most important statement, and the
one that really gets my students on track (dealing with landings) is to "fly
the aircraft attitude, not the airspeed". A three point is always a three
point when the three point attitude (identical to taxi attitude) is
attained. The speed at which this attitude is attained can vary due to temp,
density, weight, etc. Set a speed on "final" and adjust as required to
maintain the desired attitude. Looking inside, which is very common in other
ships, has no place in a Pitts on short final or over the runway- therefore,
making airspeed secondary to attitude. This also works for wheel landings as
the attitude again is fixed. Nose heavy trim always helps as well.

Good Luck-

Doug Partl
IAC Tech