ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Needs Pitts Lesson Tips!

From: "Max Braude" <skybird at optushome.com.au>

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 21:28:49 UTC

Message:

I live IN one  ;-)

Keep the Blue Flag flying high
Max Braude
skybird at optushome.com.au

-----Original Message-----
From: John Cornwell [mailto:jwcornwell at usa.net]
Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 3:44 AM
To: DSowder at aol.com; jwcornwell at usa.net; aerobatik at att.net; acro at gf24.de
Subject: [Acro] Re: Needs Pitts Lesson Tips!

I have never lived under a bridge.

jwcornwell at usa.net writes:

> One more thing:
>
> At first, hold the stick with 2 or 3 fingers only.  If you use the
> traditional
> grip that we men often use for certain private pursuits, you will most
> certainly overcontrol the airplane.
>
> Now you must think I am a troll.

I would like to meet Cornwell someday. I've always assumed that he's a
short,

hairy man with green teeth and large ears, who lives under a bridge....

Seriously, though, one thing that makes an S-2B easier to fly (in my
opinion)

is to trim it nose heavy. I generally trim for just a touch nose heavy at
the

highest speed that I'll normally see (say, 180 ias); this helps to prevent
inadvertant high-speed stalls, and makes inverted flight and verticals
easier. The only time I trim for neutral pitch is if I'm travelling
somewhere. But assuming your instructor knows his stuff, by all means listen
to him or her. My technique is entirely self-taught, bad habits and all.

Doug Sowder