ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] RE: Need Pitts Tips

From: Steve Pennypacker <spenny at bellatlantic.net>

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 18:14:23 UTC

Message:

  What is the goal of your lessons?  It sounds like you have a Citabria, but
will rent the S-2.  Are you looking to get checked out in the Pitts in
order to trade in your one wing for two?  Or just to have fun?  Or to see
if the Pitts might be for you?  Or....

That makes a big difference.

Most people would agree that landings are the toughest part of learning to
fly a Pitts.  Acro and spin recoveries are at least an order of magnitude
easier, and just as essential before doing any solo acro in the plane.  So
if you're going to do it all anyway, you might want to consider a building
block approach.  Start with the easy stuff and learn to fly the airplane.
 Then move on to landings once you're a bit more used to the speed,
controls, visibility, descent angle/rate, low-speed behavior, and so on.
 The Pitts is demanding, not hard, to land.  Like any other demanding
skill, it's a lot easier to learn if you've got a good solid foundation.
 Unfortunately, the Citabria won't really get you any more of a foundation
than riding a bicycle would prepare you for racing a motorcycle (I guess
you could cut 6' off each wing panel, paint the windscreen black, and tie a
sack of flour to the tail...).  They both balance on two wheels, but that's
about it.  Get a good foundation in the Pitts before you start burning lots
of cash doing bounce & goes.

Another way of putting it:  acro & spins will help you learn to land, but
landing won't help you learn acro or spins.

I'm not an instructor, so my advice is probably worth what you've paid for
it.  Surely others will disagree.  Your instructor should have a plan for
how to get you from here to there.  If you have confidence in him, you
should follow that plan.  I might not be the only one on this list who's a
bit wary/suspicious of anything less than a structured approach.

Steve
S-2B (for a few more days... sigh)

On Monday, August 05, 2002 12:47 PM, aerobatik at att.net