ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Questions on the sportsman routine

From: "Paul B. Stambaugh" <pstambau at yahoo.com>

Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 13:44:38 UTC

Message:

  I think you about summed up "Experience" in aerobatic
competition. these are the exact questions I have. Get
with someone that has had experience and have them
talk you through it on the ground.

--- Michael Angiulo <mikeang at Exchange.Microsoft.com>
wrote:
> I've got some first time competitor questions.  I've
> been out practicing all these maneuvers in my S2B
> but have never put them together in a competition
> sequence.  I've got the aresti book (the red book
> and the blue book) but I'm sort of on my own to
> figure out what I should be practicing for my first
> competition.  I'm intending to show up and try to
> fly the sportsman sequence and would like to make
> sure I'm understanding it before I continue to
> practice it.
>
> First of all, at what altitude should I be entering
> the box and what is the hard & advised floor for the
> routine?  Typically I practice at more or less sea
> level and start and end maneuvers at 4000'.  That's
> obviously too high for competition but I'm not sure
> what I'm going for.
>
> How does wind work?  I see these sequences drawn in
> both directions and there is clearly a 90 degree
> maneuver for crosswind correction.  How should I be
> practicing these?  always directly into the wind?
> 45 degrees off to practice crosswind drift?
>
> For sportsman will there be an unknown or just the
> known?  Will I get to fly this routine multiple
> times or just once?
>
> As for starting and stopping the routine, how and
> when do I waggle?  How do I break if I need to?
>
> Reading the aresti I think I understand the concept
> but I'm not sure if I'm reading the 'hand' correctly
> on some of the maneuvers (like - right hand or left
> hand):
>
> 1) I think I understand the loop in theory.
>
> 2) pull to 45, half roll left inverted, same sized
> line then pull to downline then pull out at what
> altitude?
>
> 3) this one is an immelman with a half roll right?
> should I be trying to get very slow or not?
>
> 4) 90 degree turn to right.  I'll be slow.  do I cut
> the power only afterwards to slow for the spin?  At
> what altitude should I be here before the spin?
>
> 5) competition spin like normal except vertical
> downline recovery.  if I'm late or early do I just
> roll correct on downline?
>
> 6) 2 of 4 (i.e. one stop at knife edge) to the right
> on the downline of the half cuban?
>
> 7) normal hammerhead to the left - what should my
> target recovery altitude be?
>
> 8) cuban with the first half roll left then the
> second one to the right?
>
> 9) 180 turn to the right
>
> 10) just a 2 point roll right
>
> then do I wag out or signify that I finished?
>
> I know these seem like basic questions and I'll
> probably get some answers to get training before I
> show up at a competition.  I have received formal
> training in all these maneuvers and extensive spin
> training.  Where I'm actually asking for help is
> largely in the area of contest format and aresti
> reading.  I don't want to spend a whole weekend
> getting down to a contest just to learn that I've
> been practicing all wrong!  I'll likely get a safety
> pilot to ride along with me too for my first run.
> Any comments there?

> [...]

=====
Paul Stambaugh - IAC Chapter 88
Pitts S1-S  N34RM "Psycho Therapy"
SkyTours Aerobatics - The Ultimate Aerobatic Experience
www.skytoursaerobatics.8m.com
Ann Arbor, MI & Toledo, OH
Phone: Days, Office (810)-986-0389, Evenings (419) 269-0626
Cell:  248-705-8495