ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] RE: CAP 10B Performance and qualities c ...

From: "Randy Owens" <zippyx at sprynet.com>

Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 19:10:00 UTC

Message:

  I just happen to have a CAP 10B....

The CAP 10B is 180 HP, 1150 lbs, all wood & fabric, side by side, 20
Gallons Acro + 20 Cross Country.  The cross county cruise is about 135
knots at 2500 RPM / 10.5 GPH.  Fire walled down low (2500 feet), I can
get 145 to 150 knots indicated in level flight.  Red line is 180 knots /
211 MPH.

I've got about 65 hours in the CAP and about 5 in a Pitts S2B.  I bought
the CAP over the Pitts because it better fit my mission statement (cross
country & aerobatics).  For cross country, I can stand to be in it for a
couple of hours at a time, I fit in it better (it's actually reasonably
comfortable), I can take someone with me (my girl likes the side-by-side
better than tandem), and I can fly for about 3 1/2 hours w/reserve.  You
can actually see over the cowl too...

As for aerobatics, I'm at the Sportsman level, so this plane is a better
acro flier than I am (it's still training me).  I think it could easily
handle intermediate and then some (me, too, one day).  From my
experiences in the S2B, I can definitely say that 180 HP can't match 260
HP.  The zoom factor in the Pitts is higher for sure.  I've never set
foot in an S1-S, but I imagine it's still got more zoom.

I love the CAP--it's a sweet little plane.  If I had a Pitts, I believe
I'd probably say the same thing.  The real big point for me was the
added utility the CAP offers.

I came from training in Decathlons, and it seems to me that the CAP 10B
may be somewhere smack dab between what the Decathlon can do and what
the Pitts S2B can do.

I'm not sure how helpful this is for the info. you're looking for.  Feel
free to write me back with questions if I can be of service.

-Randy