ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Russian Aircraft in Europe

From: "Richard.Goode" <richard.goode at russianaeros.com>

Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 11:34:43 UTC

Message:

Russian Aircraft in Europe

We have heard from a number of people in the USA asking whether Russian aircraft (Sukhois and Yaks) have been grounded in the UK and Europe. The short answer is that they haven't, and indeed all such aircraft continue to fly, although there is some substance to the story, the essence of which is that in the UK we do not have "Experimental" certification category which is as simple and as easy as in the USA.

Because of this the majority of Russian aeroplanes operating in the UK (150 plus today), and indeed elsewhere in Europe have continued to operate on the Russian and Lithuanian registrations.

Our CAA (FAA equivalent) then decided that they wanted all these aircraft placed on the British Register. For the majority of planes there is a system, albeit bureaucratic and expensive for a version of "Experimental", but for some it is not quite so easy.

The practicality therefore is that we are now going through the process of placing these planes on the British Register, and, although all this started some four months ago, no aircraft has in any way been grounded! However more expensive and more hassle for us!

Richard

Richard Goode Aerobatics
Newport House
Almeley