ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: AeroTek

From: DSowder at aol.com

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 04:38:27 UTC

Message:

  Paul,
Are you referring to the Air-Tech Coatings system (from Arkansas)? My S-2B is
covered and painted with Air-Tech. I've put about 380 hours of advanced acro
on it since I finished the rebuild in spring of '98, and no cracks, peeling,
fading, etc. thus far. No experience with patching; I assume that nothing
could be as easy as dope.

This system can be clear coated, but normally is not. The paint dries
flexible, but quite hard, and is just plain difficult to sand; the sandpaper
doesn't cut very well. I found the finish paint nice to use; it covers well,
flows out well, and dries very glossy. It doesn't seem sensitive to heat or
humidity (at least to the extent that we get either around here) during
application.

My B is pictured in the latest SA, albeit in black and white. I can e-mail a
color photo if you'd like. Air-Tech mixed the colors for me to correspond to
the airplane's original paint scheme. I'm not an artist or expert at chroma,
hue, and all that stuff, but the colors have a deep, rich look to them that,
to me, is very pleasing.

Doug Sowder