ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re:

From: Gil & Phyl Tellier <giltel at earthlink.net>

Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 06:17:17 UTC

Message:

  Frank,
On my factory kit S-1S the 1.5 inch tape fits the aileron gap perfectly applying
about 3/16 inch to the wing and letting the tape contact the aileron naturally
in the fully deflected position. This results in about 1/4 to 3/8 inch contact
on the aileron. Nature takes care of the exposed sticky side after a few hours
flying. I am on my third installation in 7 years and based on the prior periods
expect about 3 years + life. Take caution in removing old tape which can peel
inadequately bonded paint/dope. A little sprit of benzene or naphtha will
facilitate removal without damage. After building my Pitts, flying with and
without spades I disdained advise of gap sealing with the comment "how could it
be any better?" Then one day at Santa Paula, Dave Byrne of K.D Johnson's Pitt's
Stop grapped a roll of the subject tape and applied it in about 10 minutes to
all four ailerons. Saying I could do a better job later if I liked it, said "go
fly". I though my face would crack from grinning after the first few rolls.
Stick forces were small enough to full stroke with 2 fingers and thumb. I don't
ever consider going back to unsealed ailerons.
Gil Tellier, IAC Ch. 49