Acro Image

Aerobatics Server

ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re:

[International Aerobatic Club] [Communications] [Aerobatics Images]

Disclaimer: These aerobatics pages are developed by individual IAC members and do not represent official IAC policy or opinion.

[Usage Statistics]

ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re:


Thread: [Acro] Re:

Message: [Acro] Re:

Follow-Up To: ACRO Email list (for List Members only)

From: Jeffrey Lo <jlo at>

Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 16:04:11 UTC


  From (

3 entries found for ullage.


ul.lage   Pronunciation Key  (lj)
The amount of liquid within a container that is lost, as by leakage, during
shipment or storage.
The amount by which a container, such as a bottle, cask, or tank, falls
short of being full.

[Middle English ulage, from Old French ouillage, from ouiller, to fill up a
cask, from ouil, eye, bunghole, from Latin oculus, eye. See okw- in
Indo-European Roots.]
ullaged adj.

Source: The American HeritageR Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth
Copyright C 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.



\Ul"lage\ (?; 48), n. [OF. eullage, ovillage, the filling up of a cask, fr.
ouillier, oillier, euillier, to fill a wine cask; properly, to add oil to
prevent evaporation, as to a flask that is nearly full, fr. OF. oile oil.
See Oil.] (Com.) The amount which a vessel, as a cask, of liquor lacks of
being full; wantage; deficiency.
Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, C 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.



n : the amount that a container (as a wine bottle or tank) lacks of being
Source: WordNet R 1.6, C 1997 Princeton University

Jeff Lo
jlo at
1988 Pitts Special S1S N230MP

-----Original Message-----
From: Joel S Utz [mailto:jutz at]
Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 7:42 AM
To: IAC list
Subject: [Acro] Re:

Okay, I've checked all of my dictionaries; what does "ullage" mean?

>On my S-1S I have a 8-inch length of 3/8-inch clear tygon tubing
>connected to the top of the reservoir terminating in a small shutoff
>valve (like the brake caliper fill valve) that is tie-wraped above the
>reservoir. This valve is opened to vent the cavity for filling. To fill
>the reservoir I use a brass oil pump gun to connect to the brake caliper
>valve with a short length of clear tubing. After all air is expelled
>from the tubing I connect the pump tube to the brake caliper valve and
>then open the valve to pump oil into the reservoir, frequently checking
>the top tygon tube to observe the oil fill level. To avoid any mistakes
>a jar is placed under the top tube. As soon as oil appears in the top
>tube, filling is complete and the top valve can be closed trapping a
>visible ullage of air to allow for thermal expansion, etc. If the brakes
>have been serviced then both calipers must be filled. The last check is
>application of foot pressure to insure there is no sponginess indicating
>air in the line. Luck, Gil Tellier
>Peter Ashwood-Smith wrote:


                                                   Joel Samuel Utz
                                                   jutz at


© Dr. Günther Eichhorn
Email Guenther Eichhorn