ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re:

From: Jeffrey Lo <jlo at pacbell.net>

Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 16:04:11 UTC

Message:

  From dictionary.com (http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=ullage):

3 entries found for ullage.

----

ul.lage   Pronunciation Key  (lj)
n.
The amount of liquid within a container that is lost, as by leakage, during
shipment or storage.
The amount by which a container, such as a bottle, cask, or tank, falls
short of being full.

----
[Middle English ulage, from Old French ouillage, from ouiller, to fill up a
cask, from ouil, eye, bunghole, from Latin oculus, eye. See okw- in
Indo-European Roots.]
----
ullaged adj.

Source: The American HeritageR Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth
Edition
Copyright C 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

----

ullage

\Ul"lage\ (?; 48), n. [OF. eullage, ovillage, the filling up of a cask, fr.
ouillier, oillier, euillier, to fill a wine cask; properly, to add oil to
prevent evaporation, as to a flask that is nearly full, fr. OF. oile oil.
See Oil.] (Com.) The amount which a vessel, as a cask, of liquor lacks of
being full; wantage; deficiency.
Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, C 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

----

ullage

n : the amount that a container (as a wine bottle or tank) lacks of being
full
Source: WordNet R 1.6, C 1997 Princeton University

Jeff Lo
jlo at pacbell.net
1988 Pitts Special S1S N230MP